KƏWIČOHKEMƏTOLƏTINE ∞ WICUHKEMTULTINE ∞ APOQNMATULTINEJ
Let’s help each other.
Penobscot ∞ Maliseet ∞ Passamaquoddy ∞ Mi’kmaq
Four Directions Development Corporation is a nonprofit Community Development Corporation and Native Community Development Financial Institution (CDC/CDFI) certified by the US Department of Treasury. Established in 2001, Four Directions was created by the Penobscot Indian Nation. It was the first Native CDFI in Northern New England and is the only Native CDFI in Maine.
Our mission is to improve the social and economic conditions of the Native American tribes in Maine – the Penobscot, Maliseet, Mi’kmaq, and Passamaquoddy – through education and investment in affordable housing, tribal business ventures, and Native entrepreneurship.
We bring the spirit of “let’s help each other” to all we do.
- Increase homeownership among tribal members
- Improve the quality of housing for Native American people
- Increase the number of Native-owned businesses
- Raise the levels of financial literacy among tribal members
- Build the business skills of Native American entrepreneurs
- Attract and leverage capital to Indian Country
We listen to and serve our communities with passion, patience, humility, and respect.
We are transparent, reliable, and honest in the way we conduct ourselves and our business.
We are stronger when we work together toward shared goals.
We open doors with Native people to fulfill their hopes and dreams.
We honor, share, and embody Wabanaki culture.
LEADERSHIP & GOVERNANCE
Four Directions is governed and managed by, and serves members of the Wabanaki tribes. Our staff of professionals is dedicated to investing in the financial independence of Native individuals, families, and entrepreneurs. Four Directions is led by our staff, a board of directors, an advisory board, and is governed by the five Wabanaki tribes in Maine.
These partners share our goals and values. Together we make a bigger difference in Wabanaki communities.
- Aroostook Community Action Program
- Coastal Enterprises, Inc.
- Eastern Maine Development Corporation
- Genesis Fund
- Maine Community Foundation
- Maine State Housing Authority
- MaineStream Finance
- Native CDFI Network (NCN)
- New Ventures Maine
- Northern Maine Development Commission (NMDC)
- Opportunity Finance Network (OFN)
- Oweesta Corporation
- Penquis Community Action Program (CAP)
- Rural LISC
- Washington/Hancock Community Action Program